1. Nonlinear effects which are defined by the intensity-dependent refractive index of the fiber are called as ________
- a) Scattering effects
- b) Kerr effects
- c) Raman effects
- d) Tomlinson effects
2. The ______ effects in optical fibers are large.
3. The nonlinear effects are weak at _______.
- High Power
- High Bandwidth
- Low Bandwidth
- Low Power
4. The types of nonlinear effects seen in optical fibers are?
- a) One
- b) Two
- c) Three
- d) Four
5. _________ results from a case of nonlinear dispersion compensation in which the nonlinear chirp caused by self-phase modulation balances postpones, the temporal broadening induced by group velocity delay.
- a) Four-wave mixing
- b) Phase modulation
- c) Soliton propagation
- d) Raman scattering
6. Which of the following is not related to Kerr’s effects?
- a) Self-phase modulation
- b) cross-phase modulation
- c) Four-wave mixing
- d) Stimulated Raman Scattering
7. When three-wave components co-propagate at angular frequency w1, w2, w3, then a new wave is generated at frequency w4, which is given by?
- a) w4 = w1 – w2 – w3
- b) w4 = w1 + w2 + w3
- c) w4 = w1 + w2 – w3
- d) w4 = w1 – w2 + w3
8. Linear scattering effects are _______ in nature.
- a) Elastic
- b) Non-Elastic
- c) Mechanical
- d) Electrical
9. What is different in the case of cross-phase modulation from self-phase modulation?
- a) Overlapping but same pulses
- b) Overlapping but distinguishable pulses
- c) Non-overlapping and same pulses
- d) Non-overlapping but distinguishable pulses
10. Which thing is more dominant in making a fiber function as a bidirectional optical amplifier?
- a) Core material
- b) Pump source
- c) Cladding material
- d) Diameter of fiber
11. The beating between light at different frequencies or wavelengths in multichannel fiber transmission causes ________
- a) Attenuation
- b) Amplitude modulation of channels
- c) Phase modulation of channels
- d) Loss in transmission
12. _________ semiconductor laser sources generally have broader bandwidths.
- a) Injection
- b) Pulsed
- c) Solid-state
- d) Silicon hybrid
13. ________ modulation causes modifications to the pulse spectrum.
14. Self-phase modulation can be used for _____________
- a) Enhancing the core diameter
- b) Wavelength shifting
- c) Decreasing the attenuation
- d) Reducing the losses in the fiber
15. ________ occurs when signal power reaches a level sufficient to generate tiny acoustic vibrations in the glass.
- Wavelength shifting
- Brillouin scattering
- Linear Scattering
- Non-linear Scattering