1. The Zp.u./Zp.d. ratio for the nMOS inverter is
For nMOS inverters, the Zp.u./Zp.d. ratio is 4:1 when driven from another inverter and 8:1 when driven through one or more pass transistors.
2. The impedance ratio for pseudo-nMOS is
For pseudo-nMOS, the Zp.u./Zp.d. ratio is 3:1 and for CMOS 1:1 ratio is required for the minimum area.
3. What is the value of peripheral capacitance for 5-micron technology?
A. 4 × 10(-4) pf/µm2
B. 5 × 10(-4) pf/µm2
C. 8 × 10(-4) pf/µm2
D. 12 × 10(-4) pf/µm2
Peripheral capacitance is the sidewall capacitance. The peripheral capacitance of 5-micron technology is 8 × 10(-4) pf/µm2.
4. 1 square Cg is ___________ of MOS transistor.
A. gate to source capacitance
B. gate to drain capacitance
C. source to drain capacitance
D. gate to channel capacitance
1 square Cg is defined as the gate-to-channel capacitance of a MOS transistor having a standard feature size (W=L).
5. What is the delay value Ʈ for 1.2-micron technology?
A. 0.1 nsec
B. 0.12 nsec
C. 0.046 nsec
D. 0.064 nsec
The delay Ʈ is the time constant and for 1.2-micron technology its value is 0.046 nsec.
6. Which is used to increase Ʈ?
A. parasitic capacitance
B. peripheral capacitance
C. area capacitance
D. load capacitance
Circuit wiring and parasitic capacitance must be allowed to increase the value of Ʈ by the factor of 2 or 3.
7. The inverter pair delay is given by
B. (1+ Zp.u./Zp.d.)Ʈ
C. (1+ Zp.u./Zp.d.)Ʈ
D. (1+ Ʈ)Zp.u./Zp.d.
The inverter delay is given by (1+ Zp.u./Zp.d.)Ʈ. The inverter pair delay for CMOS is 7Ʈ.
8. The number of stages N is given by
To calculate the value for N, where N inverters are cascaded, each one of which is larger than the preceding stage by a width factor f the formula used is ln(y)/ln(f).
9. If f assumes the value e then delay is
C. does not change
Total delay is minimized if f assumes the value of e which is the base of the natural logarithm. This applies to both nMOS and CMOS.
10. Propagation delay is given by
Propagation delay through cascaded pass transistors or transmission gates can be given as n2rcƮ.