With the help of a reactive compensator, it is possible to have
Right Answer is:
Both constant voltage and unity P.F
With the help of a reactive compensator, it is possible to have both constant voltage and unity P.F.
Load Compensation is the management of reactive power to improve the quality of supply especially the voltage and p.f. levels. Here the reactive power is adjusted with respect to an individual load and the compensating device is connected to the load itself. There are three main objectives in Load Compensation:
- Increase the power factor of the system
- To balance the real power drawn from the system
- Compensate voltage regulation
- Eliminate current harmonics
Reactive power compensation is defined as the management of reactive power to improve the Performance of AC power systems. In general, the problem of reactive power compensation is related to the load and voltage support.
- The reactive power compensators are external devices that supply and compensate the lagging reactive power consumed by the load thereby relieving the burden on the AC supply.
- These compensators are also known as power factor correcting devices.
- The reactive power compensators are connected across the supply terminals to relieve the transmission lines from the excess current.
- Hence, they are called shunt compensators.
- Thus the function of the shunt compensators is to minimize the voltage fluctuation at a given terminal and to improve the supply power factor by compensating the load reactive power.
In general, the problem of compensation by reactive power compensators is viewed from two aspects, load compensation, and voltage support.
Load support:- In load support, the objectives are to increase the value of the system power factor, to balance the real power drawn from the AC supply, to enhance voltage regulation, and to eliminate current harmonic components produced by large and fluctuating nonlinear industrial loads. Voltage support is required to reduce voltage fluctuation at a given terminal of a feeder or a transmission line.
Voltage Support: The main purpose of voltage support is to decrease the voltage fluctuation at a given terminal of the transmission line. Therefore the VAR compensation improves the stability of the AC system by increasing the maximum active power that can be transmitted.
Methods of Reactive Power Compensation are
- Shunt compensation
- Series compensation
- Synchronous condensers
- Static VAR compensators
- Static compensators