In a capacitor start and run motors the function of the running capacitor in series with the auxiliary winding is to
In a capacitor start and run motor the function of the running capacitor in series with the auxiliary winding is to
Right Answer is:
Improve power factor
Capacitor start capacitor run motors
- This type of motor is designed to operate with the start winding and it is a series capacitor permanently connected to the supply.
- lt has two capacitors connected in parallel in the start winding circuit for starting purposes.
- A start capacitor stays in the circuit long enough to rapidly bring the motor up to a predetermined speed, which is usually about 75% of the full speed and is then taken out of the circuit, often by a centrifugal switch that releases at that speed.
- In a capacitor start and run motor the function of the running capacitor in series with the auxiliary winding is to Improve power factor.
- Run capacitors are designed for continuous duty while the motor is powered, which is why electrolytic capacitors are avoided.
- As a result, this motor has a higher starting torque as well as a higher efficiency. These motors are employed in sizes ranging from 375 W to 7.5 kW. The power factor of these motors is upto 80% to 100%.
- Inductive Loads consume Reactive Power and Capacitive Loads deliver Reactive Power.
- The Power Factor Angle is inversely proportional to the Power Factor (reducing the angled gap between the Voltage vector and the Current Vector improved power factor).
- So in a single-phase Induction Motor, a Capacitor Bank is connected, then the Reactive power demand by the Inductive load (Induction Motor) is supplied by the Capacitor Bank, not from the Source.
- Therefore the system reactive power demand is reduced and the Power factor is improved.